Refugee Immigration 2016-10-30T09:24:01+00:00

Refugee Immigration

JALA’s Refugee Immigration Services

  • Applications for the “Green Card.”
  • Applications for Naturalization (citizenship), and problems with the citizenship process.
  • Certain other immigration problems, including applications or petitions for family members.

To prevent having your SSI benefits stopped in the future, you should:

  • Make sure you have received your Green Card or been approved for your card. (You must be a permanent resident before you can apply for citizenship!)
  • Talk to a lawyer to find out whether you are eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship and when you can apply. (Depending on your disability, you may not have to know how to speak English to be approved for citizenship.)
  • Check your Green Card to make sure your date of permanent residency is listed correctly. About 120,000 refugees and asylees received Green Cards in 1996, 1997, and 1998 that failed to “roll back” their date of permanent residency. (For refugees, the dates of first entry into the U.S. as a refugee. For asylees, the correct date should be one year prior to the date of approval for the Green Card.)

If your Green Card has an incorrect later date of permanent residency, but you really entered the U.S. before 8/22/96 or your aslyee date should be before 8/22/96, your SSI Benefits may be cut off by mistake!

You may be eligible for free legal services! Contact the Refugee Immigration Project in Jacksonville at (904) 356-8371 ext. 334  for further help.

Self Help Pamphlets

Immigrants Receiving Medicaid

Contact JALA:

Refugee Immigration Project
Jacksonville Area Legal Aid
126 West Adams Street, 2nd floor
Jacksonville, FL 32202
(904)356-8371, extension 334

Intake Hours:
8:30-5:00, Monday-Friday

Click Here Location & Directions

Requirements For Services

You may be eligible for FREE Legal Services if you:

  • Entered the U.S. as a refugee
  • Have been granted political asylum
  • Are a Cuban, Haitian, or Amerasian, with certain other immigration statuses
  • Already have your “Green Card”, but you were originally a refugee, asylee, etc.
  • Meet income eligibility requirements and live in Baker, Clay, Duval, Nassau, or St. Johns counties

The Refugee Immigration Project, which is only able to help certain types of immigrants who have immigration cases – refugees, people granted asylum (asylees), Haitian/Cuban entrants/parolees, persons who have their green cards but originally were refugees/asylees/C-H entrants/parolees, Amerasians, Iraqi & Afghani Special Immigrant Visa holders and persons certified as victims of human trafficking.

If you DO NOT meet the above requirements, please call (904) 356-8371, ext. 334 or (866) 356-8371 ext. 334 toll-free for an appointment.